This is another relatively time consuming recipe. BUT you can make it ahead of time and freeze it, like I did, so maybe schedule this into a lazy Sunday to enjoy later on in busier times (like when I’m on my OB-GYN rotation and Ben is studying for finals…)
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lasagna noodles (9, to be exact)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic (1 spoonful pre-minced)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups (1 large bag) shredded mozzarella cheese) divided (2 cups + 2 cups)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese divided (1/4 cup + 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cooked, shredded/cubed chicken
- 2 10oz packages of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- dried oregano, dried basil, black pepper, salt
- If you want to freeze the lasagna make sure you pick up the lasagna sized tin-freezer thingies at the grocery store.
Here’s what to do:
- Cook the chicken and cube or shred. I used a stand mixer and HOLY CRAP shredding was so easy. It was really just magic. Just cook the chicken in a bit of olive oil and put into the mixing bowl and turn the mixer on low. In just a few minutes you’ll have nicely shredded chicken AND your hands won’t be fried. Really, this is genius. Look how magical this is:
- Cook the lasagna noodles and drain and rinse with cool water. It takes about 8-10 minutes to cook the noodles. Just let the noodles sit in the strainer until you need them.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and cook the garlic and onion in the butter.
- Stir in the flour and salt and stir until the mixture has small bubbles.
- Stir in the chicken broth and milk and, stirring continuously, bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute. Keep stirring or this will burn. While this is cooking it might not look like it’ll become “saucy”– I promise it does. I was skeptical too. Photo evidence:
- Add in 2 cups of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of parmesan and stir well.
- Season sauce with basil, oregano, pepper and salt. Remove from heat.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles on top. Then the chicken, then ricotta cheese
- Lay down another 3 noodles. Pour 1/3 of the sauce on top and cover with spinach, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Lay down 3 more noodles and cover with the rest of the sauce and parmesan cheese. This might drip all over your counter: fair warning.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 when you’re ready to devour.